Proverbs 18 Devotional

Welcome!
Welcome to another edition of Blogging Through the Bible where sisters take turns blogging about chapters of the Bible, covering this great book front to back.  You can catch other parts of ongoing series, here:
@ Words From the Wheel by StaceyLynn Wells
@ No Longer Lukewarm by Angela G



Oh my heart can hardly contain the diverse wisdom and exhortation found in Proverbs 18.  I encourage you to read it all.  Here I have quoted my favorite verses from this chapter and commented to share my thoughts.

Proverbs 18, Quotes and Commentary

A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
This verse speaks to me about the fools focus on discovering his own heart...self focused.  I desire to be increasingly God focused.  This is the battle of the flesh.  May we continue to strive to seek the Lord first.

It is not good to accept the person of the wicked, to overthrow the righteous in judgment.
BAM.  A person's reputation matters.  Someone of evil reputation should not automatically be believed...


A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes.

Well, this pricks my heart.  I am almost empty nest, and I YEARN for my children to affirm me with words...to let me know they appreciate my efforts as mommy.  I want to hear them tell me that I did a good job, because I SEE where I fell short...

A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul.

Lord, help me control my tongue, and be silent and confident more often...

10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

I do seek solice and comfort in my Lord, so hopefully like for Abraham, my faith will be accounted unto me as righteousness...and I am covered in Christ's blood, so thank the Lord for THAT.

14 The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but a wounded spirit who can bear?
15 The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.
YES may we disire a strong, wise, God focused spirit to help us through the infirmities that are bound to be part of this life on earth.  May we seek our Lord's knowledge and wisdom!!
18 The lot causeth contentions to cease, and parteth between the mighty.
The custom from my childhood, of "drawing sticks"(...shortest one looses, longest one wins) should perhaps be used more often to settle silly odds.

21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
May I remember to SPEAK LIFE more often than not...

22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.
YES a wife is a good thing!!!  It does not say girlfriend, it says WIFE.  God honors marriage!!!
24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Be a friend to have a friend !  How classic and wonderful is this BIBLE WISDOM?

Which verse of Proverbs 18 speaks most to you today?  Are you as convicted in your spirit as I am about the verses regarding the tongue?  How will you seek to apply these rich tidbits of wisdom?


Dear God, I really could never be "good enough" though I will continue to TRY, and I will continue to seek YOU, and to be ever grateful for my savior Jesus Christ, and for Your Holy Word in my life, and the Holy Spirit.  To You be all glory and honor.  Your will be done on earth as in Heaven.  In Jesus's name I pray, amen.



Comments