Psalm 85-86 Devotional



Oh what wonderful richness is in the book of Psalms.  How did I grow into mature adulthood before I realized how wonderful it is?  I challenge you to read a chapter of Psalms a day, and enjoy our sister sharing over the Psalms here.
This is part of an ongoing series, and you can link to more wonderful, with

In Psalm 85 and 86, I read language that demonstrates some core beliefs of the Hebrew culture, which our Lord was born into.  As I read these psalms I appreciate that my Savior, the Messiah, came and finished the work of blood sacrifice to pay for my sins, but also, I appreciate that (as evidenced in these passages) the Lord:
~is a faithful rewarder to those that seek Him
~is open, in fact desirous of a relationship with His creation (you and me....)

Also I like how I can see from these passages, the dependence of His people on Him.  The Psalms actually model seeking God to have control, and I dare say that they also model worship, reverence, and giving Him Lordship.

Psalm 85
I will hear what God the Lord will speak: for he will speak peace unto his people, and to his saints: but let them not turn again to folly.
Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land.
10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
11 Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
12 Yea, the Lord shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase.
...............
Psalm 86
86 Bow down thine ear, O Lord, hear me: for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.
Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
...............

10 For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

What stands out to you about these chapters?  Which lines could have come from YOUR heart?
Could you select a passage or few words to commit to memory?  Maybe write it and post it and study it...


Dear Father in Heaven, I am so grateful that I have Jesus as my Savior, and I have the Bible, and book of Psalms and endless blessings.  Please build me and make me strong and wise and gracious.  Help me to be a bright light for you, lit by the Holy Spirit.  Lead me from folly and turn my heart and mind toward you everyday anew.  In Jesus's name I pray, amen.
Sharing on social media can help promote focus on God's word.  Commenting in facebook posts can help get posts in front of more eyes.  Thank you for supporting Christian bloggers in this way.  God bless you and yours,
Tammy



Comments