Psalm 71-72 Devotional


As visible in verse 21 of chapter 72 Psalm, these verses are likely from King David's heart.  We see intimate chatting with God reflected here, that these thousands of years later, could conceivably come from us, with a little tweaking.  Most of the thoughts are general enough.  A few have geographic or political references that link to the time period or authorship specifics.  None-the-less, the verses are sweet and inspirational, preserved for our inspiration, learning, and God's glory.  Here are a few passages copy and pasted from biblegateway.com:

from Psalm 71  
71 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.
Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me.
Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress.
Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
For thou art my hope, O Lord God: thou art my trust from my youth.
...........................

from Psalm 72
They shall fear thee as long as the sun and moon endure, throughout all generations.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass: as showers that water the earth.
In his days shall the righteous flourish; and abundance of peace so long as the moon endureth.
He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth.
They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before him; and his enemies shall lick the dust.
.................
17 His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed.
18 Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.
19 And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.
20 The prayers of David the son of Jesse are ended.

Have you ever used any of the Psalms as a template to make your own prayer?  (See my example below!)  Is God worthy of our trust even in the presence of enemies?  What do you recall of King David's life that contributes to the witness of his faith in our God, his God?



Use Psalm as a Template Prayer!  My example:

In You Oh Lord, I put my trust.  Please preserve my peace and clarity!
In your goodness and righteousness, deliver me from any evil, and provide for my escape when a trap or snare is set before me.  Hear me, and save me please.  In faith, I am YOURS through Jesus.
You be my  strong place, that I go to continually.  Let my eyes and heart be for You and Your purposes.  You are my rock and my HOPE.  (verse 1-3 of Psalm 71, adapted as my personal prayer)


This post is part of an ongoing series, shared with a few special Christian blogger sisters.  You can find more WONDERFUL focus on God's word, at these blogs where Blogging Through the Bible is a delightful endeavor:




Comments

  1. Ohhh yes, I've used many a Psalm as a template for prayer :-) It's awesome to see how David, so many times, "chatted with" God. I had never thought of it that way, but it definitely makes sense. Especially that we, too, could easily do the same!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment