Psalms 37-38 Devotional


As I have commented before, the Psalms can be used to give us words to pray when we feel that we do not have the words. Again in Psalms 37 and 38, we see some basic truths echoed:

1) The life of a BELIEVER does not guarantee a trouble free life, but yet, FAITH IS REWARDED and
2) Our God desires a relationship with His children, and we, like the Psalmist, may call on Him.
3) God SEES it all !!
4) We can count on Him for justice....
5) We should be ready to repent (like the Psalmist) and be humble.
5) We should be a happy people because of our faith, our amazing God!!

I hope that you read all of Psalms for yourself, and that you enjoy these excerpts from biblegateway.com, KJV:


37 Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
...........................
13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
..........................
18 The Lord knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.
..........................
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.
........................
32 The wicked watcheth the righteous, and seeketh to slay him.

38 O Lord, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.
There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.
For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.
....................................
Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee.
...................................
17 For I am ready to halt, and my sorrow is continually before me.
..................................
18 For I will declare mine iniquity; I will be sorry for my sin.
.................................
22 Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

Do you think that some passages of these Psalms can be used to refute a "name it, claim it," theology?  Which verses, if so?
What stands out to you most from these passages?  What is most meaningful to you about these Psalms?


Dear Father in Heaven, 
I am grateful that you see all, and that you have given me wisdom in the Holy Bible that instructs me in how I want to live, and what I choose to believe.  Thank you for the power and work of the Holy Spirit in my life, that has given me faith and assurance... peace to know that you see it all, and I can count on You to be right and good, and fair.  I can truly turn my worries and troubles over to You, through my savior that paid the price for my sin.  Thank you.  All glory and honor to you. Amen.


This devotion is part of an ongoing series.  To catch more of it, I invite you to visit my sisters:
StaceyLynn Wells @ Words From the Wheel
Be blessed in the Sonshine!



Comments