Job 23-24, Devotional


Welcome and Introduction
Welcome to the Job chapters 23-24 edition of Blogging Through the Bible, a sub-ministry of Titus Women's Gathering, where sisters in Christ take turns blogging about Bible chapters as we endeavor to read it cover to cover.  You can catch other posts here:

Stacey Lynn Wells at Words From the Wheel
Angela G at No Longer Lukewarm
Tatiana at Purposeful Motherhood



Poor Job!  He has had it rough, and that is putting it mildly.  Having lived a good, devout life, seeking to honor God and do right for his family and in all dealings, STILL it seems like everything went wrong.  No exaggeration.  If you are not familiar with the earlier chapters of Job, you really need to read them. He lost about everything, in most tragic ways, and his health has failed and he is wishing for death.  He has had friends come beside him, well intentioned, but blaming him, accusing him of some fault or sin as the reason for the turn of events in his life.

In reality, Job's actions or Job's sin, was NOT the cause of his hardship, sickness, or loss.

Still, here he is trying to live in-spite of hardship, sickness and loss, and he is asking WHY and desiring to hear from God!

Chapter 23-24 Themes
If you have read my previous BTTB posts, then you may recall that I was/am open and forward about the fact that I am finding Job difficult to get through.  These chapters are no different. Job expresses poetically (my opinion) several key concepts:

~Respect, reverence, fear of God
~Question, WHY has this happened?
~Desire for the Father, "I want to hear from the Father..."

Some verses that exemplify what I mean:

23 Then Job answered and said,
Even to day is my complaint bitter: my stroke is heavier than my groaning.
Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat!
I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments.
I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me.

13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
14 For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.
15 Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him.

Chapter 24
24 They are exalted for a little while, but are gone and brought low; they are taken out of the way as all other, and cut off as the tops of the ears of corn.
25 And if it be not so now, who will make me a liar, and make my speech nothing worth?

I copy/paste King James Version from biblegateway.com because KJV is public domain, but I encourage you to read the scripture from different versions, and biblegateway.com I find to be a super convenient way to do that!

Can you relate?
Have you felt like Job before?  I think that most of us would agree that life on this earth is not a cake-walk, it is not roses with out the thorns.  There is a lot in this life that stinks and hurts.  It is usually in the stink and hurt that we question and hurt and wish for relief.
I surely do not have all the answers, but I know that all of my HOPE and faith is in God, and His Word, and I know that He rewards our efforts and our obedience, and our offerings of faith.

Mark 12:33 King James Version (KJV)

33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

John 14:21 King James Version (KJV)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

What stands out to YOU about Job 23-24? 
 Can you relate to his wonderings?


Father, I am just in awe of YOU, your power, your magnificence, your grace, love and mercy.  I am so grateful for your provision of Jesus, your preservation of your word, the Holy Bible for us, and your preparations of mansions in Heaven for your beloveds.  I can relate to Job's despair in that I have suffered loss, disappointments, and hurts that have at times made me weary.  I just rely on YOU.  I do not want to live with life with out You.  In Jesus's name I pray, AMEN





Comments