Job 17-20 Devotional




Welcome and Introduction

Welcome to the Job 17-18 edition of our Blogging Through the Bible series.  If you missed recent posts as we take turns blogging as we read the Bible, you can catch moreby: 

Stacey Lynn Wells @ Words from the Wheel



Just Honest Talk
I have to be open and honest.  I confided to my blogging sisters that to my surprise, I find the book of Job "hard to take."  I am not enjoying it tremendously.  In-fact, sometimes I trudge onward through it like I am wading and sloshing knee high in thick sloppy mud.  Not fun.  Hard work...

Stacey assures me that in the end, I will be the wiser about the character of God.  I am grateful for encouragement from her, and I believe her.  I know that time spent in God's word, is time well spent.  I WILL see this through.

So with that out in the open, let me cut to the chase further.  Chapter 17-18 are pretty much more of the same.  Similar to what we have read in earlier chapters of Job, well chapters 17 and 18 contain more of what I consider to be foolish talk.

I am Reminded:

As I read this (what I consider to be foolish and unproductive talk) conversation between Job and his presumed friend Bildad, I am reminded of foolish conversations that I have been party too, and also some scripture:

2 Timothy 2:23 King James Version (KJV)

23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender 
strifes.

(don't have discussions that are unproductive and lead to quarrels)

1 Peter 2:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

Ephesians 5:4 King James Version (KJV)

Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

I suppose that it feels good to most of us to even have someone come beside us and talk or listen even if it is foolish?  Like some attention is better than loneliness?

Easy for Me to See and Say
But easy for me to see and say, since I did not live the lives of Job or Bildad:  Their talk seems to accomplish little more than venting.  Job feels lowly, depressed, hurt, and in misery, and Bildad thinks he has it all figured out.  He judges Job quite harshly, and back and forth, back an forth in philosophical discussion, preaching, venting they seem to go, often FAR from TRUTH or productivity.

They did not have the advantage of the New Testament that I have now.  What does New Testament scripture seem to say is always a good reaction to pain and misery?

It Boils Down to This:

Do GOOD.  
Offer thanks.  
Go forth doing good, with a thankful heart.

What could we aspire to do if hurting, depressed and miserable?  Look for something, anything, to be grateful for...try to think on that, and DO GOOD.  Look for something good to do, for self, or others... Get on with life...caring for self, and serving others.

Just Maybe
By the end of chapter 17, I think I may detect a glimmer of hope that Job is maybe getting tired of wallowing.  Maybe he is about ready to move on with life.  Maybe things are going to begin to turn around, of course as he begins to pick up the pieces and do the best that he can (to be grateful and do good...) but of course before we might see that, we have to endure more talk from Bildad in chapter 18.


Can you relate to Job or Bildad's narrative?  I believe that I myself have played out both roles in my life: both the miserable victim and probably the know it all friend who was at least some part self righteous or judgmental.
Are there any other scripture verses that this scenario brings to your mind?


Dear Father in Heaven, please forgive me for when I am whiny and act ungrateful or when I am  blinded by pain or disappointment and do not see the glory in certain blessings that you shared with me.  Forgive me for when I have been or am judgmental.  I pray that rather, by the Holy Spirit in me, I will grow in wisdom, mercy, truth, grace, and gratitude.  May I be a light-house of love, compassion, and true wisdom to go forth in good works for your honor and glory.  In Jesus's name I pray. Amen

Job chapters 19 and 20 Devotional post scripted:
This edition is added to accommodate a gap in our series.  I hope that you enjoy.  In Job chapter 19, Job gives a rebuttal to his "friend," Bildad.  We read humility, hopelessness, and yet faith and determination inspite of calamity that is his life at this point:
19 Then Job answered and said,
How long will ye vex my soul, and break me in pieces with words?
These ten times have ye reproached me: ye are not ashamed that ye make yourselves strange to me...........................
Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net.
13 He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me.
14 My kinsfolk have failed, and my familiar friends have forgotten me.....................................
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:..............................................
Job Chapter 20
Then this character named Zophar, chimes in to assure the listeners or readers, that surely the wicked in the end get justice from the Lord.  Here are some scriptures that sum it up:

22 In the fulness of his sufficiency he shall be in straits: every hand of the wicked shall come upon him.
23 When he is about to fill his belly, God shall cast the fury of his wrath upon him, and shall rain it upon him while he is eating.
24 He shall flee from the iron weapon, and the bow of steel shall strike him through.
25 It is drawn, and cometh out of the body; yea, the glittering sword cometh out of his gall: terrors are upon him.
26 All darkness shall be hid in his secret places: a fire not blown shall consume him; it shall go ill with him that is left in his tabernacle.
27 The heaven shall reveal his iniquity; and the earth shall rise up against him.
28 The increase of his house shall depart, and his goods shall flow away in the day of his wrath.
29 This is the portion of a wicked man from God, and the heritage appointed unto him by God.
Dear Lord, I pray that you would keep me out of foolish debates, bickering, and laying blame (as I feel that I have seen in some of the book of Job) but help me to be determined and devoted in my faith that You are JUST and GOOD, TRUSTWORTHY...  Thank you for Jesus, that I have hope and expectation of eternal paradise, beyond what is temporary here in this life. I do not want to live this life with out You.  In Jesus's name I pray, amen.





Comments