Esther 3-4; Devotional

Welcome dear ones! 
Thanks for visiting another Blogging Through the Bible post, where sisters take turns blogging as they read the Bible cover to cover.  Before I begin the Esther 3 and 4 devotional, I would like to connect you to recent editions by my Christian sister bloggers:
Tatiana brought us Nehemiah 11-12 devotional 
StaceyLynn brought us  Nehemiah 13 devotional 
Angela brought us Esther chapter 1-2 

Here is my edition of BTTB for Esther 3-4:



Introduction
So as Angela discussed with the opening of the book of Esther, the Jewish people have come back to service of the one true God, but they have lost political control.  When Queen Vashti is dethroned and forbidden to be in the presence of the king again, with Jewish Mordecai is in service to the king, the stage is set to influence history.  I can see myself and my daughter in this story.  Who do you see? What lessons can we learn?  

May you learn and be inspired, like I was/am!

Esther Chapter 3
The king is Ahasuerus, and his throne is in the Sushan palace.  His territory spans from India and into Ethiopia, including 127 "provinces."  This man has clout, power, prestige, and is doing all that he can to hang on to it.  His queen Vashti has been dethroned and forbidden to enter his presence again, and lovely virgins from across the land have been  groomed and cared for to present to the king at just the right time.

Such was the life of Esther, niece of Mordecai, honorable Jewish man who serves in the king's court. When Mordecai refused to bow (being against his religion) to the man Haman, favored by king Ahasuerus, he is in danger. 

(about Haman) Esther 3:6
And he thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone; for they had shewed him the people of Mordecai: wherefore Haman sought to destroy all the Jews that were throughout the whole kingdom of Ahasuerus, even the people of Mordecai.

Esther Chapter 4
Mordecai hears of the decree sealed with the king's ring, to slaughter all Jews on a particular date.  He grieves, and cries, then asks his beautiful niece who is favored by the king Ahasuerus to go before the him and plea for safety and repeal of this dreadful plan to destroy the Jews.

Esther is hesitant, but ultimately, she risked her life and went before the king unsolicited.

Esther 4:13-17
13 Then Mordecai commanded to answer Esther, Think not with thyself that thou shalt escape in the king's house, more than all the Jews.
14 For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?

 15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,
16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.

WOW!  That is how chapter 4 ends!  Read chapter 5, and check out the discussion with Stacey, coming next.


"For such a time as this..."  How might this apply to your life?  Is there a ministry door set before you?  Will you choose to follow God?  Will you give your life to serve Him, His people, over your own selfish dreams or desires?  In what context?  Where is your Christian path heading?

FASTING; a customary demonstration of humility, or repentance, abstaining from food and drink, typically  in conjunction with prayer.  What will you fast and pray for?  Will you remember this tool for influence in spiritual realm, when you need help?  

Dear Lord, I can not even make sense of the ways society has changed in relation to genders and gender roles.  I know that I am grateful for freedoms and opportunities that I have as a woman today, but I desire above all and in all, to represent Christ, His love, His goodwill, His truths.  By the work of the Holy Spirit, guide me Father.  In Christ's name I pray, amen. 


Disclaimer:  My Blogging Through the Bible posts are not intended to substitute for reading God's word.  They are not complete summaries, and I may even make mistakes.  These posts are simply me sharing my thoughts and opinions as I read through the Bible.  






Comments

  1. I've always loved the book of Esther, as it is full of irony and twists and turns. And it shows that women can be bold and do the right thing, even if they have fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100%! What a blessing to have God's word preserved to inspire and teach us!

      Delete

Post a Comment