Calabacitas (southwestern squash) and a Sensitive Subject



CWBU helped me to find my nich in blogging.  I am NOT primarily a recipe blogger.  My recipes are like a fun additive to the other stuff......... thoughts and encouragement from a Christian perspective.

This calabacitas dish is my own.  It has a Mexican flare.  On this note, I want to share, that one of my best friends in the whole world is of Mexican heritage.  On her mother's side, she is first generation American born!!  She has a rich heritage both in Mexico, and in Texas.

Her daughters and her family are precious to me, and so I did not want to make this reference to Mexican heritage with out mentioning them, my connections..........

About 30 years ago, I remember hearing a young lady at my Corpus Christi State University, make a statement something like this, "I am way more Mexican, than American, because I could NEVER put one of my loved ones in a nursing home."

Up to that point, I had never considered that one culture was more loving or respectful of their old and frail, than another culture.  Since then, I suppose I have observed and considered more, and so I better understand where she was coming from.  Interestingly, at that time, I was staunchly opposed to putting a loved one in a nursing home ever !!

Again, I have observed and experienced more since then.  My viewpoint has broadened, and these are my most personal thoughts on it.

I understand now, that the decision to admit a loved one into a nursing home often comes with heartache, rather than callousness, and for a  myriad of reasons it may be the most loving and responsible choice.

Nursing homes are a mission field.  I almost wish that I lived near a nursing home, for this purpose (nearest one is 50 miles from here).

Rather than judging families who have placed a loved one in a nursing home, I would ask you to pray for them, minister to them, and minister to the staff who touch these lives everyday.

♡♡♡Everyone likes to be thanked and encouraged for a job well done, or even in their efforts to be loving and kind !!  Let the people know, who you observe GIVING LOVINGLY, that you appreciate them ♡♡♡

We are stuck in this fallen world, together, until God brings us to the next part of His plan.  Let's love one another along the way, nursing home, or not.  We need more of Him.
..............................................................................

If you love Mexican food, and you love vegetables, I would predict that you would enjoy this dish.  I personally would love to eat it along with enchiladas, Spanish rice, and beans !

First I cut up half of a big onion, and two calibacitas squashes.  I put it in a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil on the bottom, and stirred and put a lid on it.  I like to do that so the vegetable juices make steam to help cook the dish.
I literally dumped 1/2 can of corn, and then added couple spoonfuls of tomato sauce (maybe 1/3 of a can) and then added my seasonings, just shaken in:  chili powder, garlic powder, cumin.  Oh how I love cumin and was so thrilled years ago when I learned THAT is the secret ingredient that I love in many Mexican food dishes.




Keep stirring and letting it simmer with the lid on, until it is done to your liking:


(So if you wanted to serve a family, portion wise, I would recommend: one onion, one can corn, 4 calabacita squash, and 4 spoons or 1/2 can tomato sauce.)

Spread the love and enjoy!
..........................................................................................................................................
Here is a thoughtful P.S.  
I am sharing with you something that one of my  friends sent me in the mail.  It is relative to the previously discussed topic.... a way we can possibly effect support for people in the position to care for a loved one, or oversee decisions, and lastly beautiful flowers, because they make me happy.  All glory and honor to the creator!

I put it here really big, hoping you could read the article.
We can call our local political representative (844-833-9666 is number given in the article), and give a vote or support over the phone, for this $3,000 tax credit  (credit 4 care act) for families who are trying to care for a loved one with special needs.  Would help a lot of folks, seems to me.
 I will try check on this and get specifics for our area, and post in comments.
If  ya'll have specifics for your area, please share in comments, for others.

πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œThank you πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ



Grandma Mary Martha πŸ’–

Comments

  1. I want to share this if you may, here in the Philippines we have a very, very tight family relations since birth until death of a loved one. Bringing elders to a home care remains a taboo practice in our society though we got a handful of hospice centers here mainly in big cities. Moreover, our seniors and persons with disabilities are not receiving full support in terms of funding and after-care programs by the government. Years ago I have visited a nursing home and an orphanage. Their condition there is heartbreaking because of poor facilities. Deprived of their rights to live in a sustainable and decent environment during their old age. Their operation is also dependent on private donors/charity giving bodies. Because of inadequate support from the government, Filipinos do not have other viable options on how to care and support the needs of our elders/persons with special needs but to live together with them in one roof until their last breath. The government should also review the tax exemptions of the caregivers who assist the financial needs of the senior family member.
    My heart is also with them so all I could do is to lift their lives to the Lord and participate in any way I can. We truly cannot judge anyone who chooses to provide for their loved ones by means of institutionalized setting. Our faithfulness on taking care of one another as a family is subject by God's measurement.❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wisdom again from you sweet Kate. I am sorry that you have observed inadequate options in your home country. It is deplorable when anyone is neglected or mistreated. So much need in the world. I am grateful we are just passing through, on our way to eternity with our Savior, and I am grateful for friends along the way, and His many blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment