Party to Go...

We took the party with us, to celebrate with our loved one.  

  Before we packed, we cooked, and prepared Chili Frito Pie fixings (because that is his favorite), two layers of  cake, two icings, and party decorations.  Haha, like the dalmation sheet that covers the back of my car, in honor of my his 21st birthday?

See the crystal glass plate!  It is treasured, and from my grandmother, but you can buy similar ones at second hand junk or thrift stores if you go on the prowl.  (I shall do a blog about that!)


We started with a devil's food chocolate cake mix.  Straight from the box, just mix in 2 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, and if you like chocolate as much as my  son and daughter do, then also add 1 and 1/2  cups mini-chocolate chips.  I like to put parchment paper on the bottom of my pans, and I like to make this cake in two rounds and layer. Bake 350* until pulled away from the edges and done in middle.

For the icing, I mixed, with a fork, and by hand, about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of powdered sugar, with a package of cream cheese, or rather this kind, which I can't pronounce.  It is lower in fat, and tastes great I think!


OK, after I used a fork, then I used a spatula:

Next, I poured heavy cream in my nutri-bullet mixer and added powdered sugar.  Doesn't need much sugar:





Blender turns it in to WONDERFUL whipped cream:

I mixed those two together and this was the in between layer of our 2 cake rounds, and also, what I used to pipe on the edges.  Then SOME of us used reserve on our individual pieces. (Certainly not me, slurp, licks lips.)


Here I didn't take enough pictures.  I was probably washing dishes.  My daughter took almost an entire package of oreo cookies, and smashed and crushed them to crumbs with the bottom of a glass, and then she mixed the crumbs, all the sticky messy delicious crumbs, into almost an entire large container of Cool Whip.  Let me tell you about this part of the icing.  At first it looks too white, like Cool Whip with crumbs scattered, but let it set over night, and spread it later, like the next day, and it is stiffer, and the dark chocolate color from the oreos is more evenly incorporated.  Honestly, I don't like this cake as much as my kiddos do.  I make it for them.  My son says this oreo icing is his favorite part of the cake.  My daughter has commented that she likes the cream cheese icing and she delights in the added texture of the chocolate chips.  I think we all agree that we enjoy this cake even more after it has spent the night in the refrigerator.

  In the picture are the reserve cookies which my son ended up placing on the cake for MORE decoration, because HE LOVES OREOS.  

We assembled the cake when we got to our destination 4 hours away.  The chili was packed on ice bottles.  Just in case you don't know what Frito Pie is............ You put chili with corn chips and add  your choice of other yummies.  Popular toppings are, cheese, sour cream, chopped veggies like onion and bell peppers.  It's an absolute favorite of my son's and that is why we did it! (and we like it too)









His wife made a lovely blueberry yogurt bundt cake, with real lemon juice and powdered sugar glaze.  We topped our pieces with fresh whipped cream and it was MY FAVORITE.  I had it for breakfast with my coffee the next morning.  Shame on me.


Decorations don't have to cost money, to add flare!  We used my grand-daughter's blocks to form the 21.  No one loved legos more than my son when he was a kid, so I thought it was a fitting tribute to him.  Heck, if he had time now, he'd probably play with them.



$1 table cloth, and see the gift with the green 21 on it?  It is wrapped in scraps of a previously used table cloth.  Don't waste the plastic cloths.  Use them over and over in such ways 😊

It is always a treat to spend time with family, and speaking personally, it takes commitment and choice to make it happen, and mercy and grace, and perhaps ability to overlook and forgive, in order for these relationships to endure and remain a priority.  I urge all women to strive for this unity for the sake of the children.  If the children can grow up observing adults who are successful at managing their relationships or friendships with in the extended family unit, then they are more likely to learn how.... and to continue in that functional cycle.

To me, being the mature woman of grace that God wants me to be, means LOVING above speaking, demonstrating rather than instruction, listening and praying to God, more than talking and worrying.  Commit all to Him. 

   1 Thessalonians 5:17-18  Pray with out ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Because I assert it, please don't assume that I am pretending that I have mastered it.  It is what I aspire to, and I seek the Holy Spirit to be in control, to grow strength and wisdom in me.  The Holy Spirit can work just as powerfully around cookies and cream cake, as around fish.πŸ˜ƒπŸ’– 

Happy baking.  Happy partying with family!  Happy praying🌟





Comments