important message

**important message: in order to see all blog posts under a certain tab or date file, you may need to click on the "older" link near lower right. (something I learned about my blog)

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Saturday to the Garbage and Re-cycle Center

 I do not like to spend my LIFE cooking, but I DO ENJOY cooking if circumstances are right.  A relaxing Saturday at home with my daughter...... would be such a day.  She had a WONDERFUL and busy week, with vacation Bible school, river play, and friends, so we were due a quiet day at home. I told her the night before that I would make her something special for breakfast.  

Coffee Cakes are my "thing," so it is no surprise that I picked one for today.  Now we REALLY needed to make a trip to the county garbage and re-cycle center, so I decided to do a double batch and take one to the people at the center that keep our area going in the way of controlling and managing throw-away garbage as well as re-cycle materials.



Car is packed with garbage bags on left, and re-cycle materials on right and in back seat.  Daughter is holding fresh coffee cake that we will bring to thank the workers and volunteers.  I didn't take pictures of the individuals because I didn't want them to be uncomfortable and I didn't want them to think that my coffee cake offering was to promote my blog!!  I snuck a picture of our re-cycle center as I was driving off.  There was an employee who always has a friendly word, plus about 6 volunteers working this morning, giving of their time to sort recyclables into their proper categories to maximize re-USE and possible compensation to fund these on-going efforts.  I mean this building wasn't constructed for free....... It is actually pretty amazing and impressive, all that has gone in to our KEEP UTOPIA BEAUTIFUL organization.


...............................................................................................

Here is our coffee cake recipe that helped say, "Thank you," to these people in our lives  today:

Brown Sugar and Flax-seed Coffee Cake

*This recipe makes two  medium  round cakes; maybe one to eat and one to give away.

Cream together:

2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar  

(I didn't "pack" the brown sugar in the cup, like my mom taught me, and neither did I level it, so I used a little less......... Don't follow my example if you are not concerned in the least with the health implications of all this sugar)

Then mix in :

4 large eggs or 5 small eggs

2 cups buttermilk
 (If you don't have quite enough buttermilk, you can supplement with regular milk.)

Lastly, incorporate:
3 and 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed 
(May use ALL flour if you wish)
4 teaspoons baking soda

I like to top with chopped walnuts, but you can also make a delicious topping to sprinkle on before baking, out of equal amounts of flour and brown sugar and add butter to mix and make it crumbly.  I didn't do this topping because I felt pressed on time, and my daughter expressed more than once that she wished I did.  I was afraid the Garbage and Recycle Center would be closed before I got there..... but it was not, and in fact am determined to remember from now on that generally it is opened past noon on Saturdays!  Hurray!!

BAKE 350* 
 for  25 minutes   or until pulling from edges and turning slightly golden.

I thought it was interesting.  The cake has a definite golden hue of color through out as compared to the usual caramel or brown sugar color that I was expecting.  I honestly don't know what to attribute it to unless my memory is failing me here, or my FARM FRESH organic eggs brought in some rich yellow color.  My friend shared eggs with me from her chickens!!  I would totally make this cake for her........ but she is a far better cook than me, and she tries to keep sweet stuff out of her house so as to not tempt her diabetic husband.

Colossians 3:17
And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

1  John 3:18 
My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue (only) but in deed and in truth.



Thank you for sharing some time with me here at Grandma Mary Martha blog for encouragement and Sonshine.💖






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Stain is on My Hands

The stain was on my hands.  The fruit has been mostly delicious, but not quite perfect.  The stain, in truth, has been washed away by t...